Even before the COVID-19 pandemic began, everyone knew that healthcare workers are an integral part of our community. However, in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation and the shortage of healthcare workers across the Okanagan, the demand for healthcare aids is now higher than ever.
Through this partnership, First College will help students secure full training funding through WorkBC (some conditions may apply*). Students can then immediately start working at Brandt's Creek Mews, a healthcare facility located at 2081 Cross Rd, Kelowna after the HCA program is completed. *Please refer to Page 2 regarding the enrollment process*.
This training program is from January 20, 2021 to September 13, 2021. Monday to Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
First College and Vantage Living look forward to the increased opportunities for students and the community that this partnership will bring.
From Left to right: Timothy Yang, Director of First College; Cecily Qiu, Student Advisor; Denise Bryson, Faculty of Health Coordinator; Sharon Conway, Human Resources Director at Vantage Living
At the time of application, participants must be one of the following:
- Unemployed or
- Employed by Vantage Living with one of the following:
- Low-skilled1 or
- Working in a low-skilled occupation2 or
- Working as an apprentice
*First College Enrollment Process
- Download the Program Admission Requirement1 & Information Package2, contact admissions advisor to explore the education and career expectations as a Health Care Assistant (HCA) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (778) 478-6611.
- First College Health Care Assistant (HCA) Diploma Program Admission Requirement
- First College Health Care Assistant (HCA) Diploma Program Information Package
- To be considered for entry to the program, students will need to submit an application form along with the $150 application fee. Then, students will need to submit all the required admission related documents.
- The students will have an in-person or online interview with Vantage Living.
- The student advisor will help students apply for this funding through WorkBC under the aforementioned conditions.
- Please note, if students are ineligible for this funding from WorkBC or the funding condition from WorkBC has been changed, students can also apply for student loans instead.